Thursday, April 10, 2014

I is for the Internet





     If you have time and even if you don't, the internet is out there to inspire, intrigue, and irritate you. I use it much the same way that I've used the dictionary all my life. I have a particular word to look up. I find it and along the way I find another that I must check out, which of course brings up something else. Before I know it, hours have fled, the laundry's not done, and the dogs want to be fed.

     Today, before I decided on my I-word, I was surfing http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2014.html. This is a list of bloggers participating in the April A to Z Blogging Challenge. I've been dipping into the blogs randomly, sometimes because I like its title, sometimes because it's next on the list, and sometimes I click on one by mistake.

     This morning I clicked on Amrita @ The Book Drifter (BO.) Who could resist The Book Drifter?

   I-A

     Oooooo. Shiny. Pretty colors. An ammonite! I am hooked. And a poem. Not just any poem, but a witty, word play, anagram. This was my inspiration for today.

     I've been enamoured of ammonites since my first divorce thirty-six years ago. Lake Texoma's bed is limestone. (If you research limestone . . . But that's another story. And so is Lake Texoma.) Suffice it to say that limestone is often rich in fossils. Ammonites are the most unusual (at least to me) and certainly the biggest fossils on the shores of Lake Texoma.

My small pieces of non-iridescent ammonites
 


     My as yet unpublished book Murder on Ceres would not be possible for me to write without the internet. NASA's website is invaluable.  http://www.nasa.gov/  They have amazing photos. If you've never surfed NASA, you're in for a treat.

     And Youtube's video of  Chris Hadfield's cover of David Bowies 'Space Oddity' while aboard the ISS makes me smile. Check it out  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo

     The Internet!


1 comment:

  1. Damn I love the internet. It's one of my favorite modern inventions along with the computer (okay, and the games...) but oh how easy to get lost!

    ReplyDelete