Wednesday, April 9, 2014

H is for Hemingway

 
I like this picture because he's smiling, a rather mischievous smile, at that

My cousin and I recently discussed Hemingway. There are few famous writers whom I appreciate less than him. Faulkner and James Joyce, being two. I must admit that I think the failing is mine in their cases. I simply can’t follow their stories. John le Carré fits in that group, now that I think about it.
          Ernest Hemingway and Henry James, however, I do not like because I do not like their writing styles. They both tell good stories, but it’s the way they tell them.
Henry James’ run-on sentences bring out the editor in me. I heard someone once describe him as “chewing more than he bit off.”
Hemingway, on the other hand, never met a complex sentence he liked. And very few compound ones. In The Old Man and the Sea he makes me crazy with his uninspired attributions: “and the old man said,” “and the boy said,” “and the old man said.” But it is a good story and it’s a skinny little book so I wasn’t frustrated with it as long as I was with James’ The Golden Bowl.
Generally speaking, I am not interested in authors’ biographies. If I like their work then I don’t want to know much about them, because I might not like them and that would color my enjoyment of their work. If I don’t like their work, then who cares about their lives?
 Call it inspiration or curiosity or maybe just a way to avoid working on my own book – I found myself reading Wikipedia’s entry on Hemingway. His story would make an epic novel, filled with sex, violence, exotic locations, famous people (some wealthy and powerful), and a tragic ending.
 After all this complaining, I can recommend For Whom the Bell Tolls and A Farewell to Arms. Plus, I think his short fiction is excellent. Now I think I’ll read A Moveable Feast, his autobiography, and see what he thought of his life.
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sort of hit or miss with Hemingway's work, but he was very talented. My favorite thing he ever wrote was his six word story. So expressive. Happy A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also hate Hemingway. It was torture to choke down A Farewell to Arms, though I have enjoyed his short stories. His beyond-Spartan style works for the short form, but not when it's stretched out for 200+ pages. Every sentence is little more than Noun Verb Noun, like "It was dark. It was cold. It was raining. The train began moving. I drank my hundredth glass of vermouth that day." One of the most popular search terms for my blog, based on just one negative book review, is an iteration of "Hemingway overrated."

    ReplyDelete