Sunday, April 30, 2017

Y and Z -- thus endeth the 2017 A to Z April Blogging Challenge

 My daughter says I am the most anti-authoritarian person she knows. And she could be right, though of course I don't know everyone she knows nor do I know their standing on the conformity/rebellion continuum.

The unlikelihood that I will read written instructions, my standard noncompliance to verbal commands, and my uncommon reactions to people with celebrity status may be evidence for her thinking that.

These two common traffic signs are excellent examples. 

The No Left Turn sign causes me to exercise the most stringent self-control. It seems my car's steering wheel almost turns left of its own accord whether I have any reason to turn left or not.  

 And the No Parking. It goes without saying that I invariably apply the brakes even though there's nothing that interests me within walking distance of the sign. 


This could explain why I have run out of the inspiration to follow the rules for the 2017 A to Z April Blogging Challenge and have generally messed up this last week. 

To be fair, though, I don't really agree with our English alphabet's order. I mean little things like "U, V, W." Now, if you'll compare that with the Spanish alphabet, you'll see that it's out of order. In English, the Spanish V is pronounced "vay" and the W which is obviously the V doubled is pronounced "dobla-vay." So why would we separate the "yoo" from "double-yoo" which looks like a "double-vee" with the single "vee?"

Then there's the geography of the United States -- Why in the world is Indiana east of Illinois? Ahhh, but that's a whole 'nother question.

There are traffic signs that I do pay attention to like these. I live at the foot of the foothills to the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains and when I'm driving in the mountains these signs mean slow down, gear down, and prepare for your heart to constrict in fear.

           


And when we're in Rocky Mountain National Park this is my favorite sign. 

Actually it means "slow down," too. But for an altogether different reason. It means the cars ahead of you will all be stopped and the people will be out of their cars taking pictures. -- Me, too. See, sometimes I conform.




And if you see this sign, it probably means you've taken a
wrong turn and ended up in Dallas, Texas.

Although there are no hills that look like this near Dallas.
But there are lots of nice folks and they will gladly give you directions if you get lost -- speaking from personal experience.



What? No Y or Z topic? Oh, well. Maybe I'll do better at conforming to the recommended letters for the daily blog next year. In the meantime I'll be visiting some of your wonderful blogs that I've become aware of because of this year's A to Z.

Enjoy the rest of this blogging year and write on.

    
#atozchallenge

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching Z anyway! I missed a couple of posts near the end through being out of wifi / phone coverage so I hadn't noticed your transgressions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudia - we all have hassles like that at times ... I've learnt to concoct and fit in and then the A-Z conforms around me - there be no cat-o'nine-tail owners waiting in the quagmire of Zzzzz so nie fret nie ... well done on getting here ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/z-is-for-zebra-zoo-and-zedland.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a job well done. I admire your determination, your discipline, and your immense creativity!

    ReplyDelete