Thursday, April 6, 2017

Extreme Weather -- Movie Review

Trailer from National Geographic


I like weather. I like movies. I like 3D  IMAX movies. And I love the Denver Museum of Nature and Science where National Geographic's Extreme Weather is currently showing.

Upholding National Geographic's reputation for photographic excellence, Extreme Weather moves from one amazing visual to another and another. Calving glaciers in Alaska, tornadoes on the Oklahoma prairie, hurricanes as seen from the International Space Station, raging forest fires in California. Each terrifying in its own way.

There is discussion of the weather system that envelopes our Earth and how it is being affected by climate change, the warming of our Earth.

A seemingly slight change in our oceans' temperatures causes changes in precipitation patterns across the land portions of the Earth. Droughts can be more extensive and of longer duration increasing the risk of wild fires in forests and across the plains. Causing loss of life and property. Increasing ash in the atmosphere which settles on the glaciers darkening them so that they absorb more of the sun's heat causing more melting causing ocean rise causing flooding of low tidal lands.

Having grown up in Central Oklahoma, often referred to as Tornado Alley, and having lived in the piney woods of Southeast Arkansas, the scenes of tornadoes and forest fires were particularly heart-wrenching for me to watch.

This film's format not only puts us into the midst of catastrophic reality, it captures the heart-stopping intense beauty of Extreme Weather.




#atozchallenge

9 comments:

  1. I love these IMAX movies of the natural world. Always amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love IMAX movies, too. And I read your blog on ectopic pregnancy. It's absolutely amazing that babies come out as right as they usually do considering all the things that have to go just right at just the right time.

      Delete
  2. The IMAx makes the images so much more impressive.
    Hope you are enjoying the A to Z challenge.
    A Piece of Uganda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this film sounds fantastic! I would LOVE to see it! I love the Denver Museum of Nature and Science!

    http://authenticallylivinglife.blogspot.com/2017/04/e-is-for-educational-risks.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a very fascinating movie! I love things like that! Nature, documentary-type stuff - fun! :) Also, kind of a weather weirdo myself, lol.


    My "theme" - A Thirty-Word Story, revealing one word of the story each day of the challenge.

    #AtoZChallenge The Letter E

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is an IMAX theater in Guayaquil, Ecuador. I will have to see if Extreme Weather is showing there, too. Sounds like a great show!

    Emily | AtoZ | My Life In Ecuador

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember our visit to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science with pleasure! In fact, my blog has finally caught up with it, and my post about our time with you and Scott will appear on Monday.

    ReplyDelete