Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Almost Seven -- Poetry



Something about David Bowie's death got to me. Maybe it's because he never seemed old to me. And only old people die. Right? Here I go waxing nostalgic. Here's a poem from Three Part Harmony, a chatbook I published many years ago with two poet friends.

From when my son was    


Almost Seven

legs growin'
Momma raised seat on bike
lowered hem on pants
come to shoulder on 
Great Grandmother she
makes things in clay
plays dominoes
likes me
knows I'm almost seven.

arms gettin' strong
Father takes me fishin'
fish with bow
catch gar some in
Cimarron
get brown like berry
look like I'm almost seven.

school startin'
go second grade
ride bus to Grandfather's he
let me dig potatoes
milk goats
drive tractor
cause I'm almost seven.

soon September
come birthday
then be
goin' on eight.

2 comments:

  1. And then we start trying to go the other way! When do we want to be younger? I can't remember, maybe when 30 looms. Anyway, by 40 I'd come to terms with time - but it would be nice to experience the wonder of being 7 again. But only for a short time. Lovely poem.
    The Glasgow Gallivanter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I always say I've worked hard getting this old and I don't want to have to do any of it over again. (Although an awful lot of it was fun.)

    ReplyDelete