Saturday, March 28, 2015

A to Z Blogging Challenge

2015 April A to Z Blogging Challenge

To all my friends out there who write stories, who read stories, or who live stories. That means everybody! It’s almost here. And you only have five days to sign up. The annual April A to Z Blogging Challenge. Click here for all the information you need to be ready to hit the ground running April 1. No April Fool’s. Well, maybe a few of us April Fools.
I did this last year and liked it. Yes, the me who does not join, does not follow rules, and religiously resists suggestions and advice. We make a concerted effort to write a blog entry every day. We get Sundays off. Each day has a letter. April 1 will be the letter A. April 2 will be B. And so on. Our topic for each day will begin with its assigned letter.
Last year I started with A is for Antepenultimate. I know, a bit pretentious. But I do love words. Especially words that are new to me. Like all my blogs, they will focus on writing; flash fiction; reviews of books, movies, TV shows, and – if I can find the funding – live productions; and a new-found interest, creative nonfiction.
I don’t do recipes, but you can. I don’t do how-to pieces, but you can. And I hardly ever do philosophy, religion, politics, or medicine. But you can. Just begin with the day’s letter.
On day 2, that’s next Thursday, the letter will be B. So if you’re into quilting and chickens, you can do Bow Ties and Barred Rocks. Or photography and cats – you know who you are – you might do Black and White Bob Cats. Or saving money and raising beef? Baling Wire Repairs and Black Baldies.
Whatever your interest or concern, you can blog about it. And by the time you get to P, you will discover you have had ample opportunity to be pithy or pissy. You’re right. I’ve gone too far. But I’m on a roll and there’s no stopping me now.
When you sign up, do follow their rules. I didn’t so my blog is all lower case letters and I failed to put my two letter code after. I would have put (WR) for writing, if I had done it right. And they won’t let you change it. Oh, well. I’m starting at number 1397. As time goes on my number will change. People drop out – who knows why. Maybe they get married, move to Argentina, die. Doesn’t matter. If they don’t post for five days or the powers-that-be discover they’re a business using the Challenge for advertising, they get deleted. And we all move up the list.
Don’t have a blog already? That’s okay. There are several outfits on the internet that you can use to start one. I use Google’s Blogger. My daughter-in-law uses Word Press. The Challenge doesn’t have a preference.
Oh my goodness! I just changed my desktop to the Challenge’s calendar. Already I miss my Ceres and the surrounding star field. The calendar is relentlessly cheerful. Not that Ceres and Space are not. They’re just so much quieter and calmer about it. And it was easier to see my icons.
I’m ready. I’m pumped. I can do this! And you can too.

See you Wednesday – I mean 'A' Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment