Monday, July 15, 2013

Writing Prompt: My favorite song

Last year my daughter Grace and I each got a copy of this book. A wonderful way to practice writing. We choose a prompt, write, then read them aloud. There's a link at the end of this post to Grace's story. See how she responded to the prompt.

Prompt:  Write a story based on the title of your favorite song.


I’ve missed you. It’s been a long time. Probably seems longer than it’s really been, but long enough.
When you left, it was supposed to be just for a while. A week. Two at the most. But then things happened. There was a baby and your grandfather died. I understand all that.
But then it seemed you might not want to come home.
I got called away, too. Then I was busy and didn’t think about the separation. That’s what I’ve started calling it—the separation.
When I get home now, the house seems empty. Like it’s been empty a long time. It doesn’t smell like you anymore. Your minty Altoids, fresh brewed coffee, a hint of tobacco smoke. Your deodorant.
Today I went in to the office at the regular time, but couldn’t face coming home again. Worked over. Stopped for a drink. Went to the movies. Late. Very late.
I came home to a dark living room. Lights flickered toward the back of the house. In the kitchen.
Candles.  
And flowers.
And you singing, “Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear…”




To see what Grace wrote using this same prompt go to   http://sinandinconvenience.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment