Wednesday, October 18, 2023

The Wheels of Justice

 

Artist's rendering of a Protective Order hearing
before Judge Chutkan in Trump’s D.C. case, 
from CNN

     Jay Kuo, in his Status Kuo Substack, reminds me to patience. He explains the steps in the process toward justice. Steps toward justice, the wheels of which I’ve heard many times in my long life, turn slowly. 
     Too many times this process seems not only slow, but like a maze. A maze whose every turn I fear will be a dead end.
     Kuo’s step by step explanations remind me that we are a nation of laws. Laws that our Constitution requires protect all of us, including a criminal defendant. 
     I know that’s not how it always works. I’m old, not devoid of common sense. And I’m certainly not immune to the fear that the rich and powerful among us can and, too often do, get away with all kinds of stuff and the ex-President might, too. 
     I know, I know. In Trump’s case, rich may be much less rich than we’ve been led to believe and powerful may be more about those with actual money and power who support him.
     Kuo reminds me that the slow legal process leading to justice must be meticulous and methodical. He reminds me that the steps being taken in this particular case are and must be “by the book.”
     Because these trials involve an ex-President, they can be seen to be without precedent. Which doesn’t seem right to me, just because an ex-President is the defendant. He should somehow be better than an “ordinary” person? Nonetheless, it is on the bases of precedents, that the judicial system moves. And, it appears that the courts are going to have to rule that the extant precedents do apply to the Trump cases. Those slow wheels. Those slow wheels.
     In that same long life, I’ve lived, I seem not to have learned the lesson of patience. So, Jay, keep reminding me and maybe I’ll live long enough to see justice served. 

             If you would like to read Kuo’s article, go to
         https://statuskuo.substack.com/p/taming-the-online-terrorist


        If you would like to read Kuo’s article, go to https://statuskuo.substack.com/p/taming-the-online-terrorist
 

No comments:

Post a Comment