Friday, June 29, 2018

Day 2, Part 2 -- SCOTUS

Grandsons John Riley and Silas
That's the U.S. Capitol in the background.

And the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) is across the street in front of them. This is an area known as Capital Hill, and it was a pretty uphill trek from the Metro's Capitol South Station. Nothing like my Green Mountain at home though.

The thing about Washington, D.C. is that wherever you look, there is something beautiful and/or amazing to see just from the street. Our walk to SCOTUS took us past the Library of Congress's Thomas Jefferson Building. As a writer, this is a big deal for me.

 
                             Thomas Jefferson Building,              King Neptune and his court,   
                        one of three Library of Congress                     at the base was                   
                             buildings on Capital Hill                sculpted by Roland Hinton Perry           

The Library of Congress is the largest library in the world and the oldest federal cultural institution in the United States. And, no, I didn't get to go inside. I didn't go inside the Capitol, either. We just didn't have time. One week is not enough to see everything I want to see in D.C. Guess I'll have to take another History Vacation. "Don't throw me into that briar patch!" she cries.

So many things in D.C. seem so big to me. Now, I live at the foothills to the Rocky Mountains. Believe me, I understand "big." But all this human-made big takes my breath away. The sculptures at the base of the Library of Congress, the Capitol Dome, the portico and columns of the Supreme Court building.




This is the Great Hall in the Supreme Court Building. It runs from the giant sized bronze front doors to the court room. The door there in the back opens into the court room. The court room itself is not huge. It's a good two stories tall, and lushly appointed with classical friezes depicting powerful men, patrons who administer the law and portion out justice. The women figures seem to be supplicants rather than patrons. Beautiful, but a little testosterone driven for my tastes. Of course, this building was completed in 1935 barely 15 years after the 19th Amendment guaranteeing women in the United States the right to vote.


And marble and bronze and more marble everywhere!
   
        Behind these bronze doors is an elevator                               This is the entry to
        complete with an actual human elevator                                 the women's room
        operator. I remember from my childhood                               on the third floor.
        when all the elevators had human operators!





We had lunch in the cafeteria there. My
barbecue ribs were excellent, and       
I know from good ribs, because         
   my husband makes the best.                    








After lunch we caught the last lecture in the courtroom. It wasn't long, but the young woman giving it was personable and knowledgeable. There were many young people in the audience. Along with some adults in attendance, they asked perceptive questions. 

It seems that finishing the 8th Grade bestows on American students a school trip to Washington D.C. The city was awash with them. Very fitting, now that I think about it. John Riley just finished the 8th Grade, too.


We left the Supreme Court under threatening skies. Little did I know just how threatened our Supreme Court would soon become. Justice Kennedy, I don't begrudge you your well earned retirement. I just wish you had waited at least until after the mid-term elections.

Back at the hotel John and I left the boys watching TV. They don't have regular TV at home, so it was a draw for them. Cartoons, cartoons, cartoons.

John and I went out for dessert. Remember that Irish pub we saw the evening before in the square "within walking distance" from the hotel. Sine Irish Pub and Restaurant, to be exact. He had a Guinness Brownie and I, Bailey's Cheesecake. Each topped with enough whipped cream to sink a ship or my diet.
              


2 comments:

  1. The men as patrons and the women as supplicants - isn’t it always the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudia - what a great time for your grandsons ... they'll remember their time with you for always. Those desserts look good - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete