Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Speaking Out -- an essay

image from 999thepoint.com

It’s time to speak out.
Sunday I spoke out against a Salvation Army bell ringer.
As I was going into a Walmart Super Center some children were coming out with their parents. The bell ringer called out to the children, “Do you know what Santa’s bringing you?” So I listened to see what the kids would say. But before they could answer the bell ringer shouted, “Crud.” The children and their parents just walked on.
The whole time I was in the store, I thought about what I should say and to whom. To the bell ringer? To the store manager? I knew I should say something to someone. But what and to whom?
Maybe I should just let it go. I didn’t know what the bell ringer’s day had been like. I was pretty sure he was not a volunteer. He was being paid. Probably not much and from the looks of him this job was probably as good as it would get. Though, somehow, being cheerful and saying “Merry Christmas” to those who did not donate and “Thank you” to those who did did not seem all that noxious a pastime to me. Even at minimum wage.
In a past life, I was a case worker for the Oklahoma Welfare Department. Our small town did not have a shelter for battered women, their children, or the homeless. We could always trust the local Salvation Army to provide bus tickets if we could find a place for these people to go. They didn’t ask for the people’s pedigrees or religious affiliations. They were satisfied that we knew somebody who needed help. And they helped.
When I came out of the Walmart the fellow was smoking while he rang the bell. This man did not fairly represent the organization for whom he was fund raising. He wasn’t representing himself very well, for that matter.
So I called the Salvation Army to complain. Left a message on their voice mail and truly didn’t think I’d hear back. But, within a few minutes I did. The man who called said he’d already spoken to the bell ringer about improperly wearing the Salvation Army apron. He didn’t say in so many words that the bell ringer would be sacked, but there was no bell ringer there Monday morning when I went back.
Now the bell ringer is out of job and the Salvation Army is missing out on its most successful time of the year for fund raising.
I can’t volunteer much time to be a bell ringer, but I’ve talked to them about it and they’re going to get back to me.

So I may just be a bell ringer. And trust me I can say “Thank you” and “Merry Christmas” with the best of ‘em.

No comments:

Post a Comment