Thursday, March 20, 2014

Editors! Who Needs 'em?
 
   I do. That's who. Everyone who writes for public consumption does. And we need editors for lots of reasons.
   This is a picture of a page from Murder on Ceres, my science fiction murder mystery. Please note all the red ink. That's from my editor. The green is mine.
   I use Spell Check, Google, The American Heritage Dictionary, and Microsoft's Synonyms. I read Isaac Asimov and John Lescroat. I watch Neil deGrasse Tyson and Masterpiece Mystery! on PBS. I am prepared to write (and rewrite) this book.
   Still my manuscript comes back from the editor with blood all over it.
   I read and watch lots of other things, all of which increase my vocabulary. A large vocabulary, unfortunately, does not guarantee clear communication. The picture above is an excellent example.
   In this scene my protagonist is verbally assaulted by his aunt as she takes him in to talk to his uncle. I wrote, "Unaware of his wife's broadside, Dmitri stood and extended his hand."
   My editor wrote in red,  "of her what? It sounds like you're talking about her butt."
   Obviously my editor was crazy. Where did she get THAT?
   Did I mention that I have a long history of reading naval war books?
   So, enter a twenty-something man. I read to him the passage as I had written it, assuming his reading background was sufficient to make familiar to him the term "broadside." And he blurted, "What did he do to her butt?"
   Definitely a laugh-out-loud moment.
   I think my choices are to change the word or send a copy of Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander to all who buy my book with the requirement that they read it first so they will be properly prepared to read my book.


No comments:

Post a Comment